Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Trust In the Lord with all Thine Heart

This morning as I was doing my devotions I began to ponder a thought that has been on my heart for the last several days. How much do we really trust the Lord?


When we cease from trying to figure out how the chair is going to hold us up and begin to rest in the provision of that chair is when we truly begin to understand the meaning of trust! We spend so much time trying to figure out how the Lord is going to hold us up that we forget to rest in him. How do we let go and rest?
I think this next verse really speaks volumes of how we let go and rest.

Matthew 11:29
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

The Lord wants us to learn of him and through the trials in our lives we do learn of him and we do learn how to trust him as time passes in our lives.

Go back to the analogy of the chair. Now if you gave me a chair to sit in and you told me that a 10 year old made the chair I would be a little apprehensive to sit in the chair because of the knowledge I have of its maker. Would you?
If I went ahead and had a seat and it did not collapse to the floor I would learn to trust the ability of the 10 year old. As days pass and I realize the sturdiness of the chair I realize that this chair was made to sustain me, I would over time become so comfortable and fully trusting that the chair is going to hold that it would just become my nature to sit in that chair daily without hesitation.

Now to compare my maker to a 10 year old craftsman is so very inadequate but how many times do we by our actions treat him as such?
Have you checked out his handywork lately?
Psalms 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
I think he is perfectly capible of handling our circumstances all on his own without our interference and our prayers of telling him how to be God!
What? You have never told him how to take care of your situation? I need you to fix this, or I need you to fix that, God, I need the money by such and such date! God, I need you to change my circumstances, I need a bigger house, I need a nicer car, I need you to_______________ (fill in the blank!) Then when he does not come through on our demands we feel like he failed us. Are we planning our life or are we resting in the will of God for our lives?

Does the model prayer go like this? Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Should we let go and let God? Should we bear our burdens to him, tell him how we are feeling in the situation? YES! but putting demands on God, I think not!
I think I spend a lot of time telling God what I want and not spending much time asking him to do what he wants to do with my life and resting in the fact that my Father knows best.
Are you learning of HIM? Are you resting?
Over my life as a Christian I have learned of HIM, He is sweet, loving, kind, and knows so much more what I need in my life than I do. I have found a resting place that is like none other!
Psalms 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusts in him.

No comments: